Songs I Would Cover

Although I have written a lot of songs, I would still perform covers. The reason is that a good song is a good song, and if someone has written a good song about something unique, there's really no need for me to write a song about that, especially if it wouldn't be as good as the song I cover. An example of that would be 'Apeman' by the Kinks: it's a very unique song that I never would've thought of, plus it's catchy, and having no solo part, it would be a good change of pace, since most of the songs I would would call for a lot of jamming. That leads to the second reason to cover a song: it provides something to jam to, like many of the blues songs I would choose to cover, for instance, and any song that fades out at the end just screams to have someone finish the song somehow, like with a long improvisation that may, or may not, segue into another song, either mine or someone else's. So, in order of what pops into my head, the songs and the artist the song is associated with, along with any comments I feel are appropriate: 'Going Out West' Tom Waits; 'Lost Highway' & 'Move It On Over' Hank Williams; 'Spoonful' 'What A Woman' & 'Sitting On Top Of The World' Howlin' Wolf; 'Hootchie Coochie Man' Muddy Waters; 'Tobacco Road' Nashville Teens (John Loudermilk writer and first of many to record the song); 'Crawling King Snake' John Lee Hooker; 'You Gotta Move' Mississippi Fred McDowell; 'I Am A Rock' Simon & Garfunkel; 'The Old Laughing Lady' 'Last Trip To Tulsa' 'Hurricane' & 'Southern Pacific' Neil Young ('Hurricane' makes it because 'Last Trip To Tulsa" ends on an indefinite note and it would sound great for another song to start right up immediately after); 'If 6 Was 9' 'Voodoo Child (Revisited)' 'The Wind Cries Mary' & 'Little Wing' Jimi Hendrix (If 6 Was 9' & 'Voodoo Child would be played together as one great jamfest); 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' 'Let It Bleed' 'Gimme Shelter' 'Dead Flowers' 'Moonlight Mile' & 'Turd On The Run' Rolling Stones because every show would have an obligatory Stones cover, and I could probably list more (the last three mentioned I have different ways of doing); 'The Soft Parade' 'Shaman's Blues' 'Roadhouse Blues' 'I'm A Spy (In The House Of Love)' 'Moonlight Drive' & 'L.A. Woman' The Doors; 'Til The End Of The Day' 'Sunny Afternoon' & 'Apeman' The Kinks; 'La Follia' Vivaldi'. Naturally, I will probably think of more, such as 'Goin' To California' by Led Zeppelin or "Get Back' by The Beatles, but as you can see by the list there's enough music there for a whole set. But then, if I had to do a Beatles song, I think I'd rather play 'Everyboy's Got Something To Hide' because it really rocks. And I forgot 'Sad But True' by Metallica and Pearl Jam's 'Elderly Woman Behind A Counter In A Small Town' and who knows what else, plus I haven't figured out 'La Follia' yet...I just know I want to play it, because it has ample room for improvisation. Anyway, that's what I'll go by for now, because I have songs of my own I feel are damn good too, and more to write.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

pieces of mind

Denial

Experiment