The Satanic Verses

I found this book puzzling, full of beauty and grace in parts but rather silly as well. Still, I'm glad I read it, because I had to know what the Ayatollah Khomeini had against it; why kill someone just for writing a book? On page 378, I found the answer:it's when Salman the Farsi says, "The closer you are to a conjuroer, the easier it is to spot the trick." That was bound to cause trouble, seeing how Rushdie blatantly calls Muhammed a fraud. No one likes to have their religion doubted by some intellectual who lacks faith, even if Rushdie has Mohammed stating that there is no difference between writers and whores. By then, nothing can protect Rushdie from the wrath of the faithful, though he fortunately suffered no fatal attack in the 35 years since the book's publication. So maybe I should get to work on my groundbreaking novel: Jesus Christ, Private Eye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experiment