Suicidal Dances

Happiness comes and goes, but never stays for long/ Just has time for a laugh or maybe a song// When joy comes knocking it has to go away/ There's no place in my heart for joy to stay// I look for love but it's something I never find/ it's scared away by the darkness in my mind// I'll never get joy to stay Lord knows how hard I've tried/ Soon my sorrow will be too big to hide// How I wish I could end all my misery/ but I'm afraid that's all that's left of me// That song came out of a severe depressive episode. I didn't intend to write a song, but the first two sentences I wrote happened to rhyme so I thought to myself that I should make a song out of it. I wrote it while I waited for someone to come on the internet's suicide hotline to chat with me, because my depression was so deep that I felt I had to reach out, so I listened to the blues (Muddy Waters, then Freddy King) and chatted and it seemed to help. It all started when a bill was $50 more than I expected, which I wouldn't usually want to kill myself over, but then I had that feeling. There's really no explaining it to anyone who never felt that, but when the counsellor asked me "Is there nothing to live for?" I answered "There's me to live for, and the world, and all the people who ever helped me." I couldn't ever kill myself, though I might feel like I should. After all the crap I've gone through, it would be wrong not to at least try to be rewarded for all my agony. So will the pain ever end? Do I clutch at brief pleasures like a man reaching for flotsam on an endless, raging sea?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Erase All Lines On The Map

Out and About

God Bless All Your Empty Little Heads