Musical Notes

At this moment, I am listening to the Atom Heart Mother Suite by Pink Floyd. Despite all the great music they have done, I think this is their best piece. Everyone should listen to it. I, myself, play it at least once a month, and usually more. It's classical in its form, with adventuous flourishes, and sounds great after Beethoven's Ghost Sonata. Back in the 18th century, classical musicians were not afraid to improvise, like they are today. Wolfgang A. had a female piano student once, and he felt bad that she couldn't improvise a sonata, which is proof that musicians then improvised a great deal. I am certain that most of Mozart's sonatas were things he made up at the spur of the moment, and with his marvellous memory, could recall later, note for note. Why this changed I don't know. I know Beethoven got to writing cadenzas for his concertos, because he probably thought most musicians could not be trusted, but Ludwig van was one of the greatest improvisers ever. Once, when playing one of his quintets for woodwinds and piano, he pissed off the oboe player by jamming for a few minutes. I am sure the audience loved it, but slowly classical music lost the spirit of adventure, which explains why it is not as loved today as it should be. As for myself, I love to improvise, so much so that I am incapable of playing a written piece of piano music without using the first bars as a jumping off point for my own exploration. I like to take the ends of songs where they fade out, and do variations on the last few notes. I figure since the song in question never really finished, then anyone who comes along can finish it for the artist in question. My Variations On A Theme by Metallica takes off on the last notes of 'Nothing Else Matters', and being simple, it is quite easy to make something complex out of it. The next time I'm on stage, I should play it. Leopold Mozart (Wolfy's dad) once said, concerning the art of imptovisation, "A mistake is an unintentional rightness." I believe he also said that one should not be afraid of remaining silent at times, for otherwise the music would sound "like the chattering of birds." I would have loved to have been there when Leopold brought little Wolfy to some impromptu music making sessions back in the day; I bet it was great. My last musical note for the day concerns the Taliban. They are notorious for not liking music, when music making is one of the most natural things a human being can do, and by its very existence honors God. I believe they erred when they smashed instruments and banned all music, and a compromise is in order. The only music that deserves to be banned is recorded music, whereas live music should be encouraged. Instead of playing recordings, real musicians should be present if one wants music in a mall, say, or even an elevator. While I do want to record my music, I do agree with Neil Young that "live music is better/ bumperstickers should be issued" and from now on, America should curtail playing recorded music in public places, and hire real, live musicians to improvise on popular themes as people are shopping. I believe that would make the world a better place. At least it would make shopping less annoying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experiment