Is Philosophy A Super Power?

No, I don't consider philosophy to be a super power, per se, but I do find it enables an untrained civilian, such as myself, to endure hardships that would set others to bemoan their fate, and to do so with even a touch of humor. Of course, some would think that someone who is funny could not possibly be a philosopher, to which I thoroughly disagree. George Carlin was a philosopher, or at least became one in my eyes, and he was certainly one of the funniest men who ever lived; in fact, teachers of philosophy, so insistent on being serious, have made the study of the subject dry and dull, rather like Plato's Republic. My antipathy towards Plato goes back to high school, when my critique of Greek philosophers get a C- from my teacher, but I deserved better and felt my grade was due to not giving the teacher what he wanted. Were I a teacher, I would give extra credit to a student who disagreed with me, even if I found his reasoning to be faulty, just for having enough guts to question ancient wisdom. He should have sat me down and had a nice, long chat with me: it could have been the start of a beautiful friendship. Instead, it was summarily dismissed, and I'm sure an A was given to a student who regurgitated the teacher's lesson verbatim, just swallowing it whole instead of digesting it. In hindsight, perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned Conan the Barbarian, but Robert E. Howard's classic character was a bit of a philosopher, and he was certainly much better with a sword than Socrates ever was. I did like Socrates though. Plato must've skipped class a couple of days to have thought the way he did when he had such a great teacher. Perhaps Plato was a juvenile delinquent who compelled the city fathers to make Socrates drink the hemlock, which the old man took with grace and some irony. A lesser mortal would have screamed "It's all Plato's fault!" but not Socrates: he drank it straight, no chaser. Surely God was proud of the old man. What greater service can a human being perform for society than to question common assumptions and prove them lacking in reason and empathy, or any other qualities for that matter. The misconceptions of the masses, and the intelligentsia who purport to speak for them, deserve to be skewered and roasted over the flame of thought; that so many will never question common knowledge in order to please some earthly power is a disgrace to all who fought for freedom through the Ages, as is not using logic to dismiss brand new misconceptions, as is so prevalent today. That's why God said He would destroy the Earth if I die poor, because so many people in authority can't think their way out of a wet paper bag. Teachers who indoctrinate, rather than educate; legislators who pass laws no one, especially them, can understand; media that opinionate in the guise of information...it's all quite shameful, and deserves to be mocked, but instead is honored by the powers that be, who surely love the sight of minds closing shut, even in countries that profess to be free. Authorities of all kinds want the people scared and docile, to accept what the government gives them without comment or complaint, and so a society begins the long ride to Hell. With so many good intentions paving the way, it certainly won't take very long. Perhaps, then, the refusal to accept faulty notions that have some popularity is a kind of super power. Anyone who withstands the onslaught of such utter nonsense will surely be vindicated eventually, as was Socrates. Too bad the old man had to drink the hemlock first, but he knew he would be remembered long after his persecutors had been forgotten. To die for the good of humanity is not a horrible fate at all: to accept what is known to be false without question is, by far, worse than death could be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experiment