Is There Anybody OutThere?

Writing this blog is like throwing a bottle with a note inside into the ocean, never knowing where it will go, or if it will ever be found. Despite the hopeless endeavor, one must persevere, and keep up the futile quest for communication if salvation is to ever come. According to my records, some of my entries have been read, but my reader chooses not to comment, which I respect a great deal, since the right to remain silent is our most precious right of all. I'm not trying to be funny either; I truly believe that. To force someone to speak is the most horrible thing I can imagine. I continue to try to grow my audience, but I wonder how to categorize my blog, or if it can be in any category, or even should be in a category. Perhaps it's in a category of its own, and it's pointless to try to pin it down, much like music. I am a philosopher, so it should be in that category, but it has many diversions so far, and philosophy, in my philosophy, is something that the less one writes about it, the more valid it is. See? The right to remain silent is not only precious, but also a valid choice to express wisdom, because there is too much noise in this culture. The world was a better place when television stations shut down for the day, but now there is a constant need to fill every second of every day with content, when the very fact of living is content enough, and can be better content as well. Today, as I crossed the Mississippi River, I turned to look at it, as is my habit, and saw a man with his smartphone not even glance at it once. I pitied him. To pass such a wonder without the slightest acknowledgement was sad to me, but then I guess I'm weird. So be it. One can think they've seen the river before so why look now, but the river changes from moment to moment, day to day, year to year. I can't think of anything I can see on my phone I would rather look at, or any matter so pressing that I couldn't put it down for a second to enjoy one of the true marvels of the world. Still, if one has the right to remain silent, one also has the right to look at whatever they damn well please, which is in the 9th Amendment to the Constitution. Had our founders listed every right we had, the Bill of Rights would have been 20 pages long, and brevity is the soul of wit, after all. That doesn't get me any closer to finding an audience. I guess this could be put in the philosophy category, but since philosophy is too important for words, I need other subjects to give myself something to say. Some of my choices I regret, yet I cannot in good conscience erase those entries from the record, even when they are unconscionable. After all, it fits into the entire theme of this blog, and I have to show each twisted path, every wrong turn, and all the deadends I encounter, or else I am not being faithful to myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Experiment